Saturday, November 5, 2011

ACL Test - Find Out If You Tore Your ACL

I am six months post-op everything seen to going ok, no pain or instability. But I am always checking my knee by doing the "anterior drawer" test on myself. I can really move it out a ways compared to my other knee. I would say at least 5mm or more. I had my own patellar tendon as the graft. Everyone I know that has had there acl done never tried to do this, so I have nobody to compare this to. Do you think it's bad to keep checking my knee that way? It has been that way since day one. Do you think I stretched the graft out by doing that? My injury was from a MVA and I had a tremendous amount of swelling in my knee and I lost 2/3rds medial meniscus. I am going to see my surgeon this week to ask him these same questions. Just wanted your input.

My Answer:
I have been doing the same thing on my knee especially since I had a little ACL problem early on.

Here is how you can test your own ACL.

To answer your question on Laxity in your ACL after surgery I have found the same thing. My right knee after 2 ACL surgeries is not as tight on the anterior drawer test as my left knee.

For me since I am no longer a competitive athlete is not a significant problem I just need to make sure I continue to do exercises to keep the hamstring and quads as strong as possible to compensate for a potentially "looser" knee.

Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment